Skip to main content

Week 1 - Introduction + Literacy Memories

Introduction

Hello!

 My name is Jake Locorotondo, and I am beginning my second semester at UB. I look forward to becoming a high school ELA teacher next year. I have always enjoyed helping my friends write essays and having in-depth discussions about books during class. I believe ELA classes offer students numerous opportunities to learn about new cultures, self-reflect, and practice forming arguments. My English teachers in high school were some of the most influential adult figures in my life, and I plan to be that same person for my future students. I look forward to teaching content that I am genuinely passionate about, and I hope I can help my students develop into intelligent and charismatic thinkers. 

Last year, I began working in Danbury Public Schools as an associate for the after-school program. Next, I worked at a summer camp at Ellsworth Elementary School, and now I am an intern at Danbury High School.


Literacy Memories

Reading and writing have been my strongest subjects for as long as I can remember. It was always easy for me to keep a high grade in English, and ELA was always my favorite subject in school. I vividly remember my high school ELA teachers doing an excellent job guiding the class through challenging texts.

 First, we read and discussed Night by Elie Wiesel. This was one of the first times I had learned about the Holocaust in school. I remember my teacher providing plenty of background information about Hitler, World War II, and other relevant information for the time period. I appreciate how the teacher helped us feel prepared to understand the context behind Wiesel's story, but that was not all. The teacher led us through rich discussions about our reactions to the readings. The book included many violent and heartbreaking stories, and the teacher made sure to be sensitive to the visceral sensations students had while reading. Our in-class discussions allowed us to share our feelings about the story and discuss our opinions about human nature. 

Next, our teacher decided to go through Romeo and Juliet. This was my first time reading Shakespeare, and the teacher was mindful of this fact. I appreciate the pace we had set in the beginning. We went through each scene carefully as a class, and the teacher challenged us to read some sections on our own. I feel like this was a good way to scaffold our lessons because we were progressing from less-difficult in-class readings to more-challenging independent readings. Before we moved on, the teacher would make sure everyone was on the same page. I was always afraid of getting left behind, but the teacher was able to assess our progress every day by having us discuss the story and offering our interpretations of the plot. Additionally, the teacher gave us a chance to work in groups to act out the play as a class. Shakespeare's writing became less of a challenge when we worked together in a group. I felt confident learning new vocabulary and understanding the plot when consulting with my group members. Similar to watching a movie, acting out the play helped the class visualize what was going on in the play. 

Overall, I feel like my high school ELA teacher did a fantastic job teaching the content. Each teacher was able to frame the story in a way that helped all of the students relate to the characters and comprehend the nuances in culture. Our classes were thoroughly challenging, but the teacher helped us maintain confidence when we tackled difficult assignments. I look forward to organizing group work and holding in-class discussions to help my future students have a positive experience with the content.

Comments